Match Results

27/3                                                          Dingoes (AWAY) - Won 44 - 74

10/4 Haggis Cup                                      Dublin Demons - Lost 46 - 3 

                                                                  Glasgow Hammerheads - Lost 35 - 20

                                                                  Aberdeen Dingoes - Won 27 - 24

08/5                                                          Sharks (HOME) - Won 104 - 41

05/6                                                          Sharks (AWAY) - Won 40 - 125

18/6                                                          Dingoes (HOME) - Won 107 - 15

17/7                                                          Sharks (AWAY) - Won 75-45

31/7                                                          Dingoes (HOME) - Won 75-38

18/9 Grand Final                                     Sharks (HOME) - Won 66-53 Champions

Match Reports

27/3 Aberdeen Dingoes Away - Won 44-74


On a gorgeous day in Aberdeen the Dingoes hosted the opening fixture of the SARFL 2010 at the Woodside Sports Complex. The Dingoes started at a great pace and took an early lead that was slowly pegged back by the Bloods and by the end of the first quarter Edinburgh had a narrow lead. In a second quarter that was dominated by Aberdeen and Pete Moon in particular, who scored 3 goals, it looked as though it was going to be the Dingoes that would lead at half time but the Bloods rallied and a goal just before the break gave them a 48-42 lead to defend in the second half. The Bloods defence, marshalled by skipper Alan McSparron, improved dramatically in the second half and only some very poor finishing allowed the Dingoes to stay in touch. However as the game wore on, the Bloods started to find the target and the final score was 74-44. It was an impressive second half from the Bloods, restricting Aberdeen to only 2 behinds. There were impressive debuts for Travis Marshall, who put in some big hits in the midfield and grabbed a couple of goals, and Derek Casserly. Derek scored 3 goals and 3 behinds making him the top scorer for the Bloods in his first ever run out at AFL which is mighty impressive. It was a good start for the new look Bloods team and one that should set them up for the season ahead.Thanks to Dougie Hunter and Stevie Connor for umpiring.


9/5 Glasgow Sharks Home - Won 104 - 41


As always when we play at Duddingston, the sun was shining for the first clash of the season between the Bloods and the Sharks. The Bloods were smarting from the defeat at the Haggis Cup in April and were gunning for revenge. It was the Sharks that drew first blood taking a very early lead but Edinburgh replied straight away and never looked back. The Bloods midfield of Will Clarke, John Goding and Travis Marshall dominated, giving the hosts the majority of the possession and the Irish front line of Johnny McGill, Shane Faulkner and Brendan Fleming as well as Olly Tragardh were converting the possession into points. The Bloods dominated the second half as well with new players Paul Harrison and Damien Mortensen grabbing goals on their debuts. Overall it was a great performance from the Bloods and there were some outstanding performances, particularly from debutant Will Clarke (2.2) and Shane Faulkner (3.3).Thanks to Campbell Paterson for umpiring.

9/5 Glasgow Sharks 2nds Home - Won 106 - 45


The second team fixture followed the pattern of the senior team with the Bloods dominating the game and scoring at will. It was great that both the Bloods and the Sharks were able to almost field entirely different teams in both games although there were some who had to play in both to make up the numbers. This allowed those who have trained hard to get some well deserved pitch time and for the newer players, some invaluable experience. From the Bloods side the stars of the show were Henry Donkin who scored 4 goals and schoolboy Andrew Presly who was a sensation, scoring 4 goals and 4 behinds in his first competitive of AFL, giving the Bloods selectors some food for thought for the upcoming fixtures. Thanks to Campbell Paterson for umpiring

5/6 Glasgow Sharks AWAY - Won 40 - 125


The Bloods continued their winning start to the season with a very strong performance away to the Sharks. The match was hosted at a new venue, Nethercraig Sports Centre, and it was again a glorious day for football although the temperature certainly suited the Aussies more than the Locals. The Bloods had a strong team out and for the first time in a long time had more locals than Aussies in the squad. From the outset the Bloods dominated the scoring and there were some big hits in the midfield. The Sharks defence struggled to cope with the pace of Irish forwards Johnny McGill and Shane Faulkner who got clear of their markers with ease and had their shooting boots on getting 3 goals a piece and could have had a few more with a bit of luck. Brendan Fleming also had his radar adjusted to the posts and grabbed a double as did Adrian Vahey who played equally well at the back and in midfield. In the midfield it was the Aussies that were on top with an outstanding debut from George Marshall making him BOG. He was ably assisted by Travis Marshall who put in some big hits and got 3 goals and Nick Garner who was all over the pitch picking up the crumbs and got 2 goals.At the back skipper Alan McSparron led his troops well, taking big marks and picking out the ever-eager front line with long kicks upfield. The Sharks only scored 2 goals in the first 3 quarters which is a great achievement for the defence. Debutant Tom Dawson, Stu Bailey and Adrian Vahey did an exceptional job alongside Sparro keeping the usually lively Sharks forward line very quiet. Youngsters Tom Exton and Andrew Presly also both played very well, Tom grabbed a goal and a behind and Presly got a behind on his first game in the top team. Thanks to Campbell Paterson for umpiring.

19/6 Aberdeen Dingoes HOME - Won 107 - 15


I don’t know how we manage it but someone upstairs obviously likes SARFL fixtures to be played in the sunshine as it was another scorcher on Saturday at Duddingston for the Dingoes visit to the Bloods. Victory for the Bloods has confirmed that their position at the top of the ladder is unassailable and they will now have home field advantage in the Grand Final in September.Both sides had fairly strong sides out, with Aberdeen bringing subs to the game unlike in Glasgow a few weeks ago which allowed them all to get a bit of time on the side to recuperate. The Bloods started quickly and never really looked back. Johnny McGill set the standard early with a great mark and his usual relaxed finish to put the Bloods ahead and he was quickly joined on the score sheet by Shane Faulkner. The Irish forwards were difficult to pin down and deadly in front of goal and if only they could work together and not obsess about whether Team Shane or Team Johnny will end up top scorer! Faulkner ended with 3 goals and 2 behinds, McGill with 2.1.The midfield of John Goding, Travis Marshall and Adrian Vahey dominated from the start, with Goding (1.2) in particular having an excellent first half. Vahey (2.2) and Marshall (1.1) were bursting though into the forward line all day with Vahey grabbing a double. The Dingoes were hit by a nasty injury to playmaker Campbell Paterson in his last game before heading back to Australia. There was a long delay whilst the ambulance treated his wrist before taking him off to hospital. Here’s hoping he has a speedy recovery. The injury meant Aberdeen had to re-arrange at the back and it only meant more room for the Bloods to score with Nick Garner (2.2) and debutant Leo Bargery (1.3) both grabbing goals. Highlight of the day was when Scott Kelly (Cavey) charged up field, away from his defensive duties, to grab a goal thanks to some wonderful shepparding from skipper Alan McSparron who also snatched a late goal. Departing Blood Jordan Campbell (1.2) enjoyed a fine game in all positions and got a deserved goal whilst up front. We wish him well and thank him for his hard work for the Bloods. Thanks to Dougie Hunter for umpiring

31/7 Aberdeen Dingoes HOME - Won 75-38


Both teams were short on numbers for the last Bloods fixture of the regular season with each only having 1 sub. With Glasgow unable to provide an umpire Colm Sweeney and Fin MacDonald took the whistles and the Bloods appreciate the Dingoes sporting acceptance of any ropey decisions! It was the Dingoes that drew first blood shooting with the wind but the Bloods hit back well with a couple of goals from Johnny McGill and Kayne Sheehan to be leading 39-13 at quarter time. The next 2 quaters were fairly tight and had Aberdeen had their shooting boots on, particularly when they were dominant in the 3rd quarter the outcome could have been a little different. Johnny McGill was keeping the scoreboard ticking over and Tom Dawson got his first points for the Bloods with 2 goals and 4 behinds in a rare spell upfront. Nick Garner and Kayne Sheehan both bagged 2 goals and 2 behinds with the latter named Best On Ground.

18/9 Glasgow Sharks HOME - Won 66-53
SARFL Grand Final – September 18th 2010
Bloods 9.12.66 – Sharks 7.11.53


It was a familiar setting at Duddingston for the 2010 SARFL Grand Final and again the sun was shining. However, there was a stiff breeze from the west that meant it was going straight down the park giving a distinct advantage to whoever was going with it. Unlike the 2009 Granny, the Bloods were with the wind in the 1st and 3rd quarters meaning they had the chance to build a lead and not rely on the final quarter heroics to salvage the glory this year.


In the first quarter the Bloods took a good lead with the Aussie midfield of John Goding (Best On Ground) and Kayne Sheehan with able assistance from Nick Garner, Al Beaton and Damien Mortensen dominating the ruck and possession allowing the forwards to make good marks and some goals.


As usual it was the Irish pair of Johnny McGill and Shane Faulkner who were causing most of the trouble for the Sharks defence with McGill ending up with 3 goals and 2 behinds. The wind was also allowing fellow Irishman Adrian Vahey to stride out of defence and join in the scoring and he pitched in with 2 goals and 3 behinds.


In the second quarter the Sharks had the wind and got themselves back into the contest but some resolute defending from skipper Alan McSparron, Tom Dawson, Scott Kelly and Adrian Vahey slowed down the scoreboard and fortunately some of their usually reliable goal kickers’ radars seemed a little out and they still trailed at half-time.


In the 3rd quarter the Bloods put some distance between the teams but were starting to tire and suffered a few injuries as the game got a little feisty. The Bloods youth policy was in evidence in this quarter with the Stewart’s Melville School quartet of Manny Masson, Tom Exton, Andrew Pressley and Angus McIntosh all filling in for the increasingly battered Bloods.


Both teams realised that it was going to be an epic finale to the game with no quarter asked or given by either team which resulted in a hugely entertaining final period with the Sharks chasing the Bloods all the way. The Sharks had plenty chances but squandered some they’d have expected to score and will be disappointed in the number of behinds that cost them in the end. As the scores were getting agonisingly close the home supporters were ecstatic as Irishmen McGill pounced on a dropped catch by the Sharks to ghost away and shoot from a tight angle. As both teams and the large crowd watched the ball sail high towards the goal, McGill was already wheeling away in celebration knowing it was though and the Cup was staying in Edinburgh for another year.


The standard of footie on show and the spirit the game was played in was a credit to both teams and the league in general and there will have been some very sore bodies (and heads no doubt) after the game as the tackles were flying in and both sets of players left everything out on the field. If the standard of play continues to improve as much as it has this year the future of Aussie Rules is in good shape. Special mention should go to Douglas Hunter who announced his retirement from domestic footie after the game. He has been an outstanding servant to the Sharks and SARFL and the whole competition wouldn’t be happening without his constant hard work.

©2014 by Edinburgh Bloods